Pope Francis called an Argentine woman married to a divorced man and reportedly told her that she could receive the sacrament of Communion, according to the woman’s husband, in an apparent contradiction of Catholic law.
Julio Sabetta, from San Lorenzo in the Pope’s home country, said his wife, Jacqueline Sabetta Lisbona, spoke with Francis on Monday.
Jacqueline Sabetta Lisbona wrote to the pontiff in September to ask for clarification on the Communion issue, according to her husband, who said his divorced status had prevented her from receiving the sacrament.
“She spoke with the Pope, and he said she was absolved of all sins and she could go and get the Holy Communion because she was not doing anything wrong,” Sabetta told Channel 3 Rosario, a CNN affiliate.
A Vatican spokesman confirmed the telephone call but would not comment on the conversation’s content.
“It’s between the Pope and the woman,” said the Rev. Thomas Rosica, a consultant for the Vatican press office.
Rosica said that any comments made by the Pope should not be construed as a change in church doctrine. “The magisterium of the church is not defined by personal phone calls.”
Is anyone else getting really, really tired of this game?
Pope Francis consistently says things that cause serious concern among Catholics who know what the Church teaches. No sooner have the words left his mouth (and of course, been reported on far and wide) than the spin machine goes into high gear – powered in large part by Catholic bloggers who make a living promoting the status quo within the Church (no conflict of interest there!) — telling us why we should not worry about the obviously controversial thing because of one of the following reasons:
- It’s a translation issue
- It’s a contextual issue
- When he said “X” it’s clear that he probably meant “Y”
- The source is unreliable
- The information is not first-hand
- We must look at the issue through the Argentinian cultural lens
- The media is misrepresenting what he said
- He contradicted himself in another thing that he said during a homily last week
- Fr. Lombardi says it ain’t true
Take your pick. There are probably others.
There are probably others. I imagine the Catholic apologists in the tank for this nonsense have a sort of flow chart they pass around every time they add a new option. “Did the Pope speak in Italian? –> IF YES, it’s not his native language. Lost in Translation. IF NO…”
A 21-year old man has died after being crushed by a crucifix erected in honour of Pope John Paul II in northern Italy.
Marco Gusmini was killed instantly and one other man taken to hospital, Italian media reported.
Part of the 30m-high (100ft) sculpture collapsed at a ceremony ahead of the Pope’s canonisation. John Paul II and his predecessor, Pope John XXIII, are due to be declared saints on Sunday.
The crucifix commemorates the Pope’s visit to the area in 1998.
The installation, near the town of Cevo, was designed as a large curved cross with a statue of Jesus Christ, weighing 600kg (1,320lb), fixed to the top.
A group of children were reported to be in attendance at the time.
The cross was designed by sculptor Enrico Job and was created for John Paul II’s visit to nearby Brescia.
The two popes will be declared saints at the Vatican on Sunday.
Originally posted on KWGN.com - Denver, Colorado News, Weather, Sports and more:
Pope Francis was not as overt in calling out the greedy in his 2014 Easter message as he was last year.
He focused mainly on calls for peace and an end to pressing conflicts in Syria, Ukraine and elsewhere. But even this year, he wove in some commentary on the world economy.
“Help us to overcome the scourge of hunger, aggravated by conflicts and by the immense wastefulness for which we are often responsible,” he said. He went on to mention diseases like Ebola that are “spread by neglect and dire poverty.”
Pope Francis stunned the world last Easter when he broke with the usual Holy Week traditions.
He washed the feet of women and two Muslims and delivered an Easter day message calling for not just the usual world peace, but “peace in the whole world, still divided by greed looking for easy gain.”
At that point Francis was…
View original 574 more words
Former Vatican secretary of state is combining two apartments for a 6,500 square foot residence just as Francis urges clergy to adopt a more modest lifestyle…
The Vatican’s former secretary of state has reportedly angered Pope Francis with his plans to move into a luxury 6,500 square foot apartment as the pope urges clergy to adopt a more modest lifestyle.
Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, 79, was secretary of state from 2006 to 2013 and briefly in charge of the Holy See and its administration when Pope Benedict XVI suddenly resigned last February.
After his election Pope Francis appointed Cardinal Pietro Parolin to replace him as secretary of state.
According to the Italian daily La Repubblica, Cardinal Bertone’s lavish restructure of an apartment in the San Carlo Palace inside the walls of the Vatican is causing unease.
The flat is located next door to St Martha’s Residence – the simple Vatican hotel where Francis has made his home after spurning the ostentatious Apostolic Palace where popes usually live on the other side of St.Peter’s Square.
La Repubblica said the cardinal’s new apartment includes a large rooftop terrace and would be about 10 times bigger than Pope Francis’ home once extensive renovations have been completed this summer.
The cardinal is combining two apartments, one measuring 4,300 square feet formerly inhabited by the head of the gendarmerie and another flat where a Vatican monsignor lived, the article claimed. Three nuns who worked with him while he was Vatican secretary of state are also to live in his new residence.
Cardinal Bertone’s term of office was highly divisive in the Vatican administration.
He was accused of being too authoritarian by his critics and he denied responsibility for the Vatileaks scandal in which the pope’s former butler leaked confidential documents to the media exposing divisions within the Curia.
Before his removal last October, the cardinal lashed out saying he was the victim of “moles and vipers” in the Vatican.
Pope Francis is determined to create a “poor church for the poor” and urged clergy to adopt a more humble lifestyle.
Last month he accepted the resignation of German bishop, Franz-Peter Terbartz-van Elst, dubbed the “bishop of bling” by the media for spending 31 million euro (£25 million) to renovate his plush residence.
Very powerful video of what Jesus saw from the Cross. Our Sins is what nailed our Loving Savior Jesus Christ to the Cross!!
The unprecedented worldwide poll was commissioned by Pope Francis.
Reformers said refusing to publish the results would suggest the Church was not sincere about sharing responsibility with lay people.
A Church spokesman said a senior Vatican official had expressly asked for summaries to remain confidential.
The survey was sent to Catholic bishops around the world last November, with instructions to consult as widely as possible.
It tackled sensitive subjects such as contraception, cohabitation and homosexuality.
BBC religious affairs correspondent Robert Pigott said the 39-question survey – designed to inform a Vatican conference on family life in October – had been enthusiastically greeted by rank-and-file Catholics.
Many Catholics saw the inclusion of such questions as a sign that Church teaching in such difficult areas might be reformed, and that lay people might be allowed a greater say in how the Church was governed, he added.
Father Marcus Stock, general secretary of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference, told BBC Radio 4′s Today programme that the questionnaire was a “much broader consultation than just a survey”.
He said orders had come from the Pope, via Cardinal Lorenzo Baldisseri, that the information should not be made public until after October.
Pope Francis is calling bishops to Rome to discuss possible reform that considers modern social realities.
The consultation is part of the preparation for the extraordinary meeting of the Synod of Bishops, which will focus on the subject of family.
Fr Stock acknowledged there were “great expectations” of the process, but insisted bishops’ decisions should not be predetermined.
“The reflection of the bishops during the Synod must not be predetermined by individual groups or by the concerns of northern Europe alone,” he said.
“It’s a world-wide consultation.”
‘Dialogue and transparency’
A Call to Action, a group working for reform in the Church, said people who had completed this “challenging” questionnaire would be saddened and perplexed if the results were withheld.
Jean Riordan, chair of the group’s national leaders team, told the Today programme that “dialogue and transparency” would help the process – and not put pressure on bishops or predetermine their decisions.
“Groups within the Church are not necessarily pressure groups, we are not a pressure group, we are not a dissident group” she said.
“We are not actually disputing much of Church teaching. What we’re saying is Church teaching should be formed by consulting.”
Other Churches which have published summaries of the responses, including those in Germany and Austria, have described a wide gap between Church teaching and the behaviour of ordinary Catholics.
However, Fr Stock ruled out similar action in England and Wales.
The Pope has signalled greater openness, and has said the Catholic Church is too tied up in “small-minded rules”.